MP's hard at work

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

all in a days work...







Well, it is really getting warm for March. It has been in the mid 90's the past few days. Nothing like sweating off the excess winter weight. We are staying busy as always and trying to keep hydrated now. Thankfully it is a dry heat. It cooled down to 91 in my truck today with the ac on. It was nice. I am starting to get mail more regularly now. That is a great morale booster for me and my Joe's. We are trying to see if we can acquire a swimming pool for the camp here. That would make these hot afternoons much more bearable. Well, we are usually out running around, so I guess it wouldn't matter much. We do get days "off" here, but those are usually spent doing maintenance on our equipment. That only takes about half of the day, so I give my guys the rest of the day off to relax and decompress. Everybody needs some alone time. I do love running missions though, as it makes the time go by faster and I like helping the local police and civilians.
Well let me explain the pics above. The one is of course at our camp of Old Glory and the Afghanistan flags. The second is of me and some of my guys and my 'terp' (interpreter) at a cave we found and cleared. No we didn't find Bin Laden. Sorry. But I still have some time and I will try to find that SOB. If I do I figure thats worth a few nights in the White House with the family. The caves that we found were pretty small and used by nomad herders for shelter during the rains. We know of some other large cave complexes, and I am very curious about those. The last pic is looking down from the caves to our trucks. Yes, it was a little hump up a hill. Doesn't sound too bad until it's 90+ degrees out, with well, I'll say 80 pounds of gear on. Some of my family tried on my IBA so they know how heavy that is. Well add in all my ammo, grenades, camera, knife (the one Jim gave me), and other assorted gear, and well my helmet and weapon, and it all adds up. Sound like fun? It is.
What else? Um, if you all have any questions, just post them on the comments and I will try to answer them as bet as possible. I can tell you that we are near Pakistan, can't say where, but we are close. Please give me feedback and questions, as it will help me write for everybody. So long for now. Russ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading the blog, and sharing the updates with friends.

Are there size limitations to the packages you can receive on base?

Let me know, email is:
neal.julie.miller@gmail.com

Neal

DadnBarb said...

It looks dry there. What type of crops do the locals grow there other than poppies? I notice from Goggle Earth many farms. Are you able to eat any of the local food and how does it taste if you do?
Dad

smaham said...

Hey Russ!! Angela told me about your blog! It is real good to hear your thoughts! Just wanted to tell you that we are all thinking about you and please be safe...lots of love, Stephanie Maham

cool video