MP's hard at work

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

For my Dad....





Well, I know that this is not quite as nice as your garden Dad, but some of my ANP have begun building a new garden to grow some trees, flowers, and vegetables. They already have a citrus grove, and they have been planting around 200 trees all around the compound. When I went to the station, they were all excited to show me their garden that they had been working on. One of the ANP officers even offered to come to the U.S. with me and help me work on my yard at home. They said that they were going to grow cauliflower, onions, and some spices of some kind. I will let you know if it starts growing before I come home. Just thought you would like to see a garden in Afghanistan. Well, take care, and I will see you all soon. SSG Russell Miller.

1 comment:

DadnBarb said...

Hello Russ,
Thank you for this post, their gardens look just fine. It means so much to me to see people growing food, their own food.
I like their lay out too and it appears that they have depressed beds and use flooding for irrigation, is this correct?
The crops they are planting sounds like here. I just put in carrots and radishes and today hope to plant the peas.
It is so good to plant trees. This helps bring the water table up closer to ground level as well as provide cool shade in summer and leaves for compost and mulch. Any chance of a seed exchange? I would like to try some of their spices and would be glad to send kohl rabi or broccoli. What do you think they would want?
Tell them that in February we were eating kale, broccoli, miner’s lettuce, cabbage shoots, chickweed, bitter cress, celery leaves, chard, arugula, chives, violets and a variety of lettuces in our salads. This all made it through the winter just fine.
I would like it if the ANP Officer would come here and share some of his garden knowledge from his culture. After all, they have been growing food a lot longer than we have here.
Keep up the good work and what all of you are doing there. We are anxiously awaiting your return.
Love… dad

cool video