MP's hard at work

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I think I just became Royality......



























Well, this was quite a day. The ANP chief and the sub-governor of one of my districts had a Jurga, which is a meeting with tribal elders and government officals of the area on important issues. This particular Jurga was about a program to turn in weapons. It is called DIAG. The elders of the area have people turn in weapons, and they trun them into DIAG through the sub-governor and police, and the community gets money or projects for it. Some examples would be wells getting repaired, Mosques being fixed, schools, and other public places built or repaired. It is a great program for the people. There were guest speakers from the local area, as well as members from higher in the food chain. The turn out was great, and there were quite a few weapons turned in. Some of us would have liked to take some of the weapons turned in, if that was allowed. There were a few British Steins, a 9mm sub machine gun, Enfield's, AK-47's, and some other interesting stuff. The weapons are destroyed after they are turned in. As you can see, I got presented with a Lunguta, which is a traditional Afghan turben head wrap. The chief told me something about being a honarary member of parliment now. I asked how much it paid, and he just laughed. I don't know why..... Anyway, they fed us afterwards, and man what a spread. We had goat, lamb, beef kababs, and rice and bread. The meat was so tender and delicious. Well, I don't know if the Army will let me be in parliment while on active duty. Maybe I can come back in 20 years and when I retire and get the position again........

No comments:

cool video